SF State students, staff, and instructors requiring internet access in their place of residence during remote instruction and operation periods can refer to our list of resources below to assist with securing an internet connection. This list of resources covers three key areas:
The following resources refer to discounts or special options from a range of internet providers for those who may not have access to the Internet from off-campus locations. Please contact the providers directly to understand if they may apply to you:
- FCC Emergency Broadband Benefit - The Emergency Broadband Benefit is an FCC program to help families and households struggling to afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic. This new benefit will connect eligible households to jobs, critical healthcare services, virtual classrooms, and so much more.
- EveryoneOn - Find internet service provider deals in your area. Search by zip code.
- Comcast: offers free WiFi for 2 months to low income families plus all Xfinity hot-spots are free to the public during this time.
- AT&T: offers open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low income families.
- T-Mobile: Connect program featuring $15 per month for unlimited talk and text plus 2GB of high-speed smartphone data.
- San Francisco WiFi: The City and County of San Francisco is excited to offer free WiFi service in selected areas and parks of the City.
- Comcast: Public hotspots can be found across neighborhoods and commercial areas - use the Hotspot Wifi Finder to locate the one nearest to you.
- eduroam: Eduroam is a wireless network that provides guest WiFi access to participating educational institutions using your SF State credentials. It allows SF State faculty, staff and students to travel to eduroam-enabled locations around the world and still have access to WiFi.
- Tips to enhance your WiFi network
- Internet speed and bandwidth
- Troubleshooting your connection with your service provider
To request assistance with Internet access, submit a service request using the form in ServiceNow.